A phony war: bikies aren’t the only problem on Queensland’s Glitter Strip Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/comment/a-phony-war-bikies-arent-the-only-problem-on-queenslands-glitter-strip-20131017-2vpce.html#ixzz2kODvlpO6
Read the story to get full details
How much of a criminal threat are bikies?
Turning to crime, we can see that outlaw motorcycle gangs play a relatively minimal role.
Statistics provided by experts such as Arthur Veno suggest that outlaw motorcycle gangs are responsible for about 0.6% of overall crime. Examination of police data for the Gold Coast and surrounding areas over a 12 month period showed that outlaw motorcycle gangs committed about 0.9% of overall crime. This reduced to 0.4% of overall crime if associates were removed and only members were included.
These statistics clearly show that these gang members are not committing significant amounts of crime. They are, however, committing crime in public, and that is why the wider public’s imagination is captured.
In its annual intelligence assessment of organised crime released earlier this year, the Australian Crime Commission noted the movement of outlaw motorcycle gangs to more visible crime.
Importantly, though, this violence is usually intra-club. Recent data obtained from Queensland Police also showed that the three most common offences committed by the outlaw motorcycle gangs were breach of bail, unlicensed or disqualified driving, and low-level possession of dangerous drugs.
This is all hardly the stuff of organised crime king-pins.
Hidden crime trends in Queensland
It is not just the bikies doing more crime. It is probably salient to look at the wider picture of crime in Queensland.
In the past two years, Queensland has seen an 8% increase in the rate of total offences reported statewide. The Gold Coast, for instance, has seen a 36% increase in robberies and a 24% increase in weapons offences over the last 12 months.
- Qld AG flags rewrite of anti-bikie laws (news.com.au)
- Queensland Police admit errors in lists of groups, locations in anti-bikie laws (abc.net.au)
- Border crackdown on crime gangs (news.smh.com.au)
- Treat bikies like animals, they will behave that way, warns lawyer. (aussiejustice.wordpress.com)
- AUSTRALIA – Queensland bikie laws a mess, Annastacia Palaszczuk says (bikersofamerica.blogspot.com)
- QLD Government to Ignore Rule of Law for SERCO PRISION PROFITS (lunaticoutpost.com)
- AUSTRALIA – Long-time Rebel bikie answers your questions (bikersofamerica.blogspot.com)